Gravlax is native to Sweden and is derived from the Scandenavian words gräva (to dig) and lax (Salmon.) In the Middle Ages, fishermen began this method of preserving by salting the salmon and burying it in the sand away from the tides. Today, raw salmon filets are marinated in coarse salt, herbs and vodka.
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dill, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- pepper to taste
- 4 cups mixed greens (spinach, frisee, romaine, red leaf lettuce)
- 2 endive, separated
- 1/2 head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup heirloom tomatoes, wedged
- 1/2 cup pickled red onions (click here for the recipe)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, soft boiled
- 1 (4 oz) package Gravlax (you can also use smoked Salmon)
- 8 oz fresh burrata, quartered
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 4 slices of Sourdough toast
- Whisk together the crème fraîche and the white wine vinegar. Add the dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Slowly add in the grape seed oil using a steady stream and constant whisking until the dressing emulsifies. It should be thick and have a similar consistency to aioli.
- Keep at room temperature until you are ready to serve.
Soft Boiled Eggs
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a rapid boil over high heat. Carefully place your eggs into the boiling water and cook for 7 minutes. Immediately transfer the eggs to a medium bowl filled with ice water.
- Allow the eggs to sit in the ice water for 3 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice in half for serving. The yolks should be "jammy" and not runny.
- Place the mixed greens on your serving dish. (It can be served in a large dish for a crowd, or plated individually.) Add radicchio, endive, scallions, cucumber, tomato, pickled onions and avocado. (we kept all of our veggies in separate sections for presentations sake, but you can evenly distribute your toppings if desired.) Place the gravlax in the center of your plate and then add the eggs, burrata and sourdough toast. Sprinkle capers, white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds over the top of your bowl. Add dressing in small drops throughout.